Untitled Document
Untitled Document
Private Tours
Untitled Document
at : 05:00 HOTEL
return : 23:00 HOTEL
Price : 1-3 PAX 850 € +PP 175 €

 - Departure (Departure time is up to the customers. Proposed time is at 06:00 a.m)

 - Konya Mevlana Museum, Sultanhan Caravanserai


 - 1 night HB 3 * Hotel in Cappadocia

 - Ürgüp Fairy Chimneys, Göreme, Avanos, The Red Valley


 - Underground Cities

 - Back to Antalya. Transfer to the Hotels




Settled life in and around Konya starts from the prehistoric period. Within this period we can see the cultures of Neolithic Calcolithic and early Bronze Era.

Höyükler, which are the inhabitancy areas of this period, are within the borders of Konya. The findings belonging to the Neolithic Period (7000-5500 BC) came out through the archeological excavations in Çatalhöyük.

In Karahöyük, which is within one of the regions of Konya today, inhabitancy of the Hittite is seen. The archeological excavations that have been carried out for many years give us findings that reflect this period.

Frigs who gave an end to the sovereignty of Hittite on Anatolia are the sects who have emigrated from Thrace to Anatolia. (The findings that were got from Alaaddin Hill, Karapinar, Gicikisla and Sizma belong to the seventh century BC). After the Frigians (Phrygians) Konya (Kavania) was invaded by Lydians and Iskender. Later on when the sovereignty of Rome was set Konya kept its existence as Ikonium (25 B.C)

St. Paul Antiochia, one of the Christian saints who went up from Antalya to Anatolia, then came to Ikonium (Konya). At this period Hatunsaray Lystra-Derbe, Leodica and Sille were important settlement areas of Byzantines. With the spread of Islam in Anatolia Arabian raids started. The Ommayads and Abbasids raided over Konya.

After the Malazgirt war in 1071, as well as a large part of Anatolia, Konya was taken from Byzantines by Seljuks.

The Sultan of Anatolian Seljuks, Suleyman Shah, declared Konya as the capital city in 1076. In 1080 the capital city was transferred to Iznik, Kilic Aslan I carried the capital city to Konya in 1097. Konya, from 1097 to 1277, was capital city of Anatolian Seljuks.

Having been conquered by Kamanid Mehmed Bey, Konya went under the sovereignty of Karamanids. By conquering Konya Murad II one of the Ottoman sultans, gave an end to the sovereignty of Karamanians on Konya in 1442.

Konya continued its reputation and esteem during the Ottoman period. One of the Ottoman Sultans, Yavuz Sultan Selim, stayed in Konya during his campaigns to Iran and Egypt. Kanuni Sultan Süleyman stayed in Konya during his campaign to Iran and Murad IV during his campaign to Baghdad.

During the Republic Period, Konya became the largest province of the country. In spite of the fact that the city of Karaman which includes the districts of Ayranci, Ermenek, and Kazım Karabekir was separated from Konya with a law put forth in 1989, the city kept this special feature.

Konya, which is a neighbor city of Ankara, Niğde, Aksaray, Icel, Antalya, Isparta, Afyon, Eskisehir and Karaman on the central Anatolia High plateau of 39,000 km2, occupies a place between 36o22’ and 39o08’ northern parallels and 31o14’ and 34o05’ Eastern meridians. Its traffic code is 42, Municipality of Konya founded in 1876 achieved the status of being “major city” according to the law numbered 3030 that was put forth in 1984. Since 1989 municipality services have been carried out according to this status.

According to the census done in 1990, the total population of Karatay district to which two sub districts and twenty nine villages are connected, is 169,000 and its central population is 142,678.

The total population of Meram district to which three sub districts and thirty five villages are connected, is 213,644 and its central population is 182,444.

The total population of Selçuk district which has two sub districts and twenty nine villages is 202,154 and its central population is 188,244. According to the census done in 1980 the total population of Konya is 1,750,303 and it is the fifth city after Istanbul, Ankara, İzmir and Adana.

Alaaddin Hill is a tumulus which hides relies of 400 years under it. Once upon a time, it attracted attention not as an area of settlement but as an area where the richness of history, culture and nature were protected and a place where people’s needs of having a rest were met. In the north of the hill Alaaddin Mosque has the pleasure of meeting its people after efforts of restoration that lasted for many years.

The mausoleum that has the sarcophagus of eight Seljuk Sultans, first and fore most Alaeddin Keykubat’s, is in the courtyard of the mosque. If you stand on the eastern part of the hill, next to the Monument of Martyrs you will see the Mevlana Dervish Convent with its green, eye-catching dome at the end of the dual carriage way lying in front of you. You can also see the minarets of Sultan Selim Mosque which was built by one of the Ottoman Sultans, Selim II, on the right side of Mevlana Dervish Convent which has been used as a museum since 1926.

The tram which is a cheap and clean vehicle of public transportation carried its 65,000 passengers with its railway wagon that made 300 trips from 06:00 till 24:00 on a route of 10,5 km. With the rise of wagons to 41, trips to 450, the length of the route to 18,5 km, the passenger capacity has increased to 120,000.

Konya, with its historical works, is a city that seems like an open-air museum.


The Mevlâna museum, located in Konya, Turkey, is the mausoleum of Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi, a Sufi mystic also known as Mevlâna or Rumi. It was also the dervish lodge (tekke) of the Mevlevi order, better known as the whirling dervishes.

Sultan 'Ala' al-Din Kayqubad, the Seljuk sultan who had invited Mevlâna to Konya, offered his rose garden as a fitting place to bury Baha' ud-Din Walad (also written as Bahaeddin Veled), the father of Mevlâna, when he died on 12 January 1231. When Mevlâna died in 17 December 1273 he was buried next to his father.

Mevlâna's successor Hüsamettin Çelebi decided to build a mausoleum (Kubbe-i-Hadra) over his grave of his master. The Seljuk construction, under architect Behrettin Tebrizli, was finished in 1274. Gürcü Hatun, the wife of the Seljuk Emir Suleyman Pervane, and Emir Alameddin Kayser funded the construction. The cylindrical drum of the dome originally rested on four pillars. The conical dome is covered with turquoise faience.

However several sections were added until 1854. Selimoğlu Abdülvahit decorated the interior and performed the woodcarving of the catafalques.

The decree of 6 April 1926 confirmed that the mausoleum and the dervish lodge (Dergah) were to be turned into a museum. The museum opened on 2 March 1927. In 1954 it was renamed as "Mevlâna museum".

One enters the museum through the main gate (Devisan Kapısı) to the marble-paved courtyard. The kitchen of the dervishes (Matbah) and the Hurrem Pasha tomb, built during the reign of Süleyman the Magnificent, are located on the right side. On the left side are 17 dervish cells lined up, covered with small domes, and built during the reign of Murad III. The kitchen was also used for educating the dervishes, teaching them the Sema. The ?adirvan (washing fountain) in the middle of the courtyard was built by Yavuz Sultan Selim.

One enters the mausoleum and the small mosque through the Tomb gate (Türbe Kapisi). Its two doors are decorated with Seljuk motifs and a Persian text from mollah Abdurrahman Cami dating from 1492. It leads into the small Tilavet Room (Tilavet Odası) decorated with rare and precious Ottoman calligraphies in the sülüs, nesih, and talik styles. In this room the Koran was continuously recited and chanted before the mausoleum was turned into a museum.

One enters the mausoleum from the Tilavet Room through a silver door made, according to an inscription on the door, by the son of Sadrazam Sokullu Mehmed Pasha in 1599. On the left side stand six coffins in rows of three of the dervishes (Horasan erler) who accompanied Mevlâna and his family from Belkh. Opposite to them on a raised platform, covered by two domes, stand the cenotaphs belonging to the descendants of the Mevlâna family (wife and children) and some high-ranking members of the Mevlevi order.

The sarcophagus of Mevlâna is located under the green dome (Kibab'ulaktab). It is covered with brocade, embroidered in gold with verses from the Koran. This, and all other covers, were a gift of sultan Abdul Hamid II in 1894. The actual burial chamber is located below it. Next to Mevlâna's sarcophagus are several others, including the sarcophagi of his father Bahaeddin Veled and his son Sultan Veled. The wooden sarcophagus of Mevlâna dates from the 12th century now stands over the grave of his father. It is a masterpiece of Seljuk woodcarving. The silver lattice, separating the sarcophagi from the main section, was built by Ilyas in 1579.

The Ritual Hall (Semahane) was built under the reign of Süleyman the Magnificent at the same time as the adjoining small mosque. In this hall the dervishes used to perform the Sema, the ritual dance, on the rhythm of musical instruments such as, the kemence (a small violin with three strings), the keman (a larger violin), the halile (a small cymbal), the daire (a kind of tambourine), the kudüm (a drum), the rebab (a guitar) and the flute, played once by Mevlâna himself. All these instruments are on display in this room, together with an ancient Kirşehir praying rug (18th c.), dervish clothes (Mevlâna's included) and four crystal mosque lamps (16th c., Egyptian Mameluk period). In this room one can also see a rare Divan-i-Kebir (a collection of lyric poetry) from 1366 and two fine specimens of Masnavis (books of poems written by Mevlâna) from 1278 and 1371.



A caravansary on the way from Konya to Aksaray 40 km / 25 mi before the city. It was built by Sultan Alaattin Keykubat I during the Seljuk period, in 1229. It has two sections, one open with a courtyard and another covered. It is the largest of all Seljuk caravansaries in Anatolia with an area of 4,800 sq m / 1.2 acres.


Sultanhan is a monumental caravansary which looks like a fortress. The entrance is through a huge, geometrically decorated portal. The courtyard is surrounded by an arcade of rooms on the left and covered places on the right. In the middle is a small mosque. The entrance to the second part is through another portal which is located on the fourth wall. The center of this second part is barrel-vaulted, containing cathedral-like aisles covered with a dome and capped by an octagonal conical roof.





The Location Of Cappadocia

Strabon, a writer of antiquety, describes the borders of the Cappadocian Region, in his 17 volume book “Geographika” (Geography-Anatolia XII, XIII, XIVI) written during the reign of Roman Emperor Augustus. Cappadocia was discribed as a very large area surrounded by Taurus Mountains in the south, by Aksaray in the west, Malatya in the east and all the way up to the Black Sea coast in the north. Though, present day Cappadocia is the area covered by the city provinces of Nevşehir, Aksaray, Niğde, Kayseri and Kırşehir. The smaller rocky region of Cappadocia is the area around Avanos, Göreme, Uçhisar, Urgup, Derinkuyu, Kaymaklı and Ihlara valley.


Gegraphy Of Cappadocia


 That's a unique world shaped by Mother Nature with the help of lava, wind and water!

The name Cappadocia is derived from Old Persian "Katpatuka" meaning Land of Beautiful Horses.

Cappadocia is an extraordinary land, combining unique and beautiful natural features with a fascinating cultural and historical past. Hittites, Byzantines and early Christians established important landmarks here, as did Mother Nature with her stunning erosion of the soft volcanic deposits.

The ancient region of Cappadocia lies in central Anatolia, between the cities of Nevsehir, Kayseri and Nigde. Here, the traveller finds one of the most fantastic landscapes in the world. Wind and weather have eroded soft volcanic rock into hundreds of strangely shaped pillars, cones and "fairy chimneys", often very tall, and in every shade from pink through yellow to russet browns.

Millions of years ago lava and volcanic ash from the now extinct volcanoes Erciyes, Hasandagi and Golludag, covered the plateau with tuff, creating a malleable medium for Mother Nature's artistry. Her wind, rain and floodwaters have gently sculpted the area creating unforgettable valleys, magical cone-shaped monoliths, and a landscape that almost defies description.

Humans have added their touch to the landscape as well. Beginning in the 2nd century BC, Christians fleeing persecution carved small, defensible refuges, high up in the rocks of hard-to-find valleys and gorges. A very positive crowd of early hermits, they dug monasteries and churches and completed their work with heavenly frescoes of Jesus and stories from the Bible. Others who added their touch to the landscape included the Hittites, Phrygians, Medes, Persians, Romans, Seljuks and the Ottomans.


Formation Of Fairy Chimneys

Fairy Chimneys are generally found in the valleys of the Uçhisar - Urgup - Avanos triangle, between Urgup and Sahinefendi, around the town of Cat in Nevsehir, in the Soganli valley, and in the village of Selime near Ihlara valley.

Fairy Chimneys - Formation

The interesting rock formations, known as “Fairy Chimneys”, have been formed as the result of the erosion of this tufa layer, sculpted by wind and flood water, running down on the slopes of the vallyes. Water has fonud its way through the valleys creating cracks and ruptures in the hard rock. The softer, easily erodable material underneath has been gradually swept away receding the slopes and in this way, conical formations protected with basalt caps have been created. The Fairy Chimneys with caps, mainly found in the vicinity of Avanos, have a conical shaped body and a boulder on top of it. The cone is constructed from tufa and volcanic ash, while the cap is of hard, more resistant rock such as lahar or ignimbrite. Various types of Fairy Chimneys, are found in Cappadocia. Among these are those with caps, cones, mushroom like forms, columns and pointed rocks.



Preshistoric Period


Evidence of Prehistoric cultures in Cappadocia can most easily be found around Köşkhöyük/Niğde, Aşıklıhöyük/Aksaray and in the Civelek cave near Nevşehir. Excavations in these three areas are still taking place.


Civelek Cave


Civelek cave is in the vicinity of Civelek village, which is situated 4 km west of Gülşehir, in the province of Nevşehir. The cave is found in the hill known as Gurlek Hill.

Access can be gained by means of a gallery which extends downwards for 14 m to the limestone cave. There are many calcite crystal stalagtites, beteen 5 and 15 cm in length, hanging from the sections of the cave ceiling, the main part of which is 22 by 11 m. During excavatinos carried out by Nevşehir Museum and cave experts from Italy, hand made cups, cooking pots of various sizes, spindles and tools made from stone and bone dating from the Chalcolithic Period (5500-3000 BC) were unearthed from the floor of the cave and especially among the collapsed rocks. In addition to this, surface excavations in the surrounding caves unearthed tools made from absidian and flint. In an attempt to preserve it. Civelek cave is closed to visitors.


Asikli Hoyuk (Mound)


Archaeological excavations discovered the first brick living quarters in Cappadocia in Asikli Höyük (mound), an extension of Aksaray’s Ihlara Valley settlements. Yellow and pink clay plaster was used in making the walls and floors of the houses, some of the most beautiful and cmoplicated architectural examples of firs towns.

They buried the dead in the Hocker position, like a fetus in the womb, on the floor of their houses. According to Prof.U.Esin, who reserarched at Aşıklı Höyük, a population greater that had been previousily theorized is revealed by the abundance and density of the settlements in these areas in the Aceramic Neolithic Period. No where else in Anatolia can the unique obsidian tools be found like those from Cappadocian Mound. Figurines, made from lightly baked clay, were unearthed together with flat stone axes wrought in many fine shapes, chisels and coulters made from bones and ornaments made from copper, agate and other different kinds of stones. Evidence provided by a skeleton found here indicates that the earliest brain surgery (trepanation) known in the world was performed on a woman 20-25 years ofage at Aşıklı Höyük.


Köşk Höyük (Mound)


During excavations at Köşk Höyük, in the vicinity of Niğde, tools and weapons made from obsidian, silica, stone and bone have been found. The most important artifact to be found at this site is the mother goddess statuettes belonging to the Neiolithic and Chalcolithic ages. In that age in Anatolia, the Mother Goddess statue, representing abudance and fertility, was both important and widespread.



Pro-Hittite And Assyrian Trade Colonies Periods (3000.BC-1750.BC)


Mining reached its peak of development in Anatolia during the Early Bronze Age. Major developments were observed in Northern Anatolia towards the end of this period.

Between 2000BC and 1750BC Assyrian merchants from northern Mesopotamia formed the first commercial organizations by establishing trade colonies in Anatolia. The center of these colonies was at Kanesh Kharum near Kültepe in Kayseri province. Another important commercial market place referred in documents is the Kharum Hattush at Boğazköy.

Anatolia was rich in gold, silver and copper, but lacked tin, essential for the manufacturing of bronze as an alloy. For this reason tin was one of the major trading materials, as well as textile goods and perfumes. The merchants had no political dominance, but were protected by the regional Beys.

Fortunately for the Assyrian merchants, writing was seen for the first time in Anatolia. From the 2Cappadocia tablets”, cuneiform clay tablets on which ancient Assyrian was written, it has been learned that merchants paid a 10% road tax to the Bey, received a 30% interest for their debths, and paid a 5% tax to the Anatolian kings for goods they sold. The same tablets tell us that they sometimes married Anatolian women, and the marriage agreements contained clauses to protect the women from their husbands.

Assyrian merchants also introduced cylinder seals, meatallurgy, their religious beliefs, Gods and temples to Anatolia. Native Anatolian art flourished under the influence of Assyrian Mesopotamic art, eventually developing an identity of its own. During the following ages this developed into the fundamentals of Hittite art.


Hittite Period (1750-1200.BC)


The Hittites, coming from Europe via the Causcasus, and settling in Cappadocia around 2000BC, formed an Empire in the region merging with the native people of the area. Their language was of Indo-European origin. The capital of the Hittite kingdom was at Hattushash (Bogazkoy), and the other important cities were Alacahöyük and Alisar. In the Cappadocia region, engraved stone monuments dating back from the Imperial Period can be found near water sources and strategic routes. By means of these rock monuments the routes used by the Hittite kings to reach the southern countries can be determined. Within the borders of Kayseri, located to the south of Mount Erciyes, are the rock monuments of Fraktin, Tasçı and İmamkulu, serving several purposes; they were intended to venerate the gods, to show the gratitute of the great King (Hattusili III) and Queen (Puduhepa) to the Gods; as well as to show the extend of the Empire’s power.


Late Hittite Kingdom (1200-700.BC)


After the Phrygians destroyed all the important towns in Central Anatolia eliminating the Hittite Empire, fragments of the Late Hittite Kingdoms sprang up around central and Southeast Anatolia.

The Late Hittite Kingdom in Cappadocia was the Tabal kingdom which extended over Kayseri, Nevşehir and Niğde. Rock monuments from this age, with Hittite hieroglyphics can be fonud at Gülşehir-Sivasa (Gökçetoprak), Acıgöl-Topada, and Hacıbektaş-Karaburna.


Persian Period And The Kingdom Of Cappadocia (585-332.BC)


The Cimmerians ended the Phrygian reign in Anatolia, and were then followed by the Medes (585BC) and the Persians (525BC). The Persians divided the empire into semi autonomous provinces and ruled the area, using governors who were known as “Satraps”. In the ancient Persian language, Katpatuka, the word for Cappadocia, meant “Land of the well bred horses”. Since the religion they were devoted to was the Zoroastrian religion and fire was considered to be divine, the volcanoes in the area, Erciyes and H asandağ were sacred for them. The Persians constructed a “Royal Road” connecting their capital city to the Aegean region passing through Cappadocia. The Macedonian King Alexander defeated Persian armies twice, in 34 and 332 B.C., and conquered this great Empire. After bringing the Persian empire to an end, King Alaxander met with great resistance in Cappadocia. When Alexander tried to rule the region through one of his commanders named Sabictus, the people resisted and declared Ariarthes, a Persian aristocrat, king. As an industrious ruler, Ariarthes I(332-322 B.C.) extended the borders of the Cappadocian kingdom.

The kingdom of Cappadocia lived in peace until the death of Alexander. Fron then until 17AD, when it became a Roman province, it fought wars with the Macedonians, the Galatians, the Pontus nation and the Romans.


Roman Period (17.AD-395.AD)


The wars came to an end in 17.AD when Tiberius conquered Cappadocia and placet it under Roman rule. After the conquest, the Romans reconstructed the road to the west which was of both commercial and military significance. During the Roman era the area saw many migrations and attacks from the east. The area was defended by Roman military units known as “Legions”.

During the reign of Emperor Septimus Severus Cappadocia’s economy flourished, but later teh capital, Kayseri (Caesera) was attacked by Sassanid armies from Irna. emperor Gordianus III ordered the construction of defensive city walls.

During this time some of the first Christians were moving from the big cities to villages. In the 4th century, when Kayseri was a flourishing religious centre, the rocky surroundings of Göreme were discovered and adopting the teachings of St.Basil, Bishop of Caesarea (Kayseri), teh Christians began to lead a monastic life in the carved out cliffs and fairy chimneys of Cappadocia.


Byzantine Period (397-1071.AD)


When the Roman Empire divided into west and east, Cappadocia fell under the Eastern Roman Empire. In the early 7th century there were severe wars between the Sassanid and Byzantine armies, and for 6 or 7 years the Sassanids held the aera. In 651 Caliph Omer ended the domination of the Sassanids, and the Arab Ommiades began to attack. The long lasting religious debates among sects reached a peak with the adoption of the Iconoclastic view by Leon III, who was influenced by Islamic traditions. Christian priests and monks who were in favour of icons began to take refuge in Cappadocia. The Iconoclastic period lasted over a century (726-843). During this time although several Cappadocian churches qere under the influence of iconoclasm, the people who were in favor of icons were able to continue to worship comfortably.


The Seljuk Period (1071-1299.AD)


The native land of the Seljuks, established by Seljuk Bey from Oğuz Turks, was central Asia. The Seljuks, who converted to Islam spreading towards north in the 10th century, tried to extend their power fighting against the tribes which had not been converted. The defeat and the capture of teh Byzantine Emperor Romanos Diogenes in 1071 by Alparslan, the great grandson of Seljuk By resulted in the decline of the Byzantine Empire and the beginning of a new era in the history of Anatolia.

In 1075 the Anatolian Seljuk State was founded. In 1082 Kayseri was conquered by Turks and Cappadocia came under Seljuk rule. Anatolia, which was an important region where Christianity had spread, became part of Islamic world which covered a large area; from North Africa, to Middle Asia and to the Near East. The conquest of Anatolia by Seljuk Turks did not influence the administrative authority of the patriarchy. We know this because in inscriptions from the 13th century found in the church of St George in the Ihlara region, names of the Seljuk Sultan Mesud II and the Byzantine Emperor Andronicus are treated with admiration. As a result of the decline of the Anatolian Seljuk State at the end of the 13th century, small beyliks (domains of minor rulers) came into being in different parts of Anatolia. In 1308, the IIkhanids, of Mongolian origin, invaded Anatolia and destroyed Kayseri, one of the important cities in the Cappadocia Region. Seljuk Sultans were controlled by the Mongolians and could not act independently. From then on, Anatolia was administered by the beyliks founded by different Turkish tribes.


Ottoman Period


The Region of Cappadocia was very peaceful also during the Ottoman Peiod. Nevşehir was a small village in the province of Niğde until the time of Damat İsrahim Pasha. At the beginning of the 18th century, especially during the time of Damat İsrahim Pasha, places like Nevşehir, Gülşehir, Ozkonak, Avanos and Ürgüp prospered and mosques, külliyes (a collection of buildings of an institution, usually composed of schools, a mosque, mental institutions, hospital, kitchen, etc.) and fonutains were built. The bridge in the centre of the town of Özkonak, which was built during Yavuz Sultan Selim’s campaign to the east (1514), is important in terms of being an early Ottoman Period building in the province of Nevşehir.

The Christian people living in the aera were treated with tolerance in the Ottoman Period as in the Seljuk Period. The 18th century church of Constantine-Helena in Sanosos-Ürgüp, the 19th century church built in honor of Dimitrius in Gülşehir and the Orthodox Church in Derinkuyu are some of the best examples of this tolerance





Untitled Document

Four Seasons

Gençlik Mah. 1326 Sok. 62/5

Muratpaşa / Antalya


e mail: