ust2
Untitled Document
Tours
CITY TOUR
TERMESSOS
DEMRE MYRA KEKOVA
TURKISH NIGHT
AQUALAND
QUAD SAFARI
DIVING
BOAT TOUR
JEEP SAFARI
RAFTING
CAPPADOCIA
PAMUKKALE
FIRE OF ANATOLIA
PERGE ASPENDOS SİDE
Untitled Document
Private Tours
TERMESSOS EVDİRHAN DÜDEN WATERFALL
SAGALASSOS-ANTIOKEIA-EFLATUN PINAR
PERGE ASPENDOS KURŞUNLU WATERFALL
PERGE ASPENDOS SİDE MANAVGAT WATERFALL
DEMRE - MYRA - KEKOVA
KONYA KAPADOKYA (2 DAY H/B)
PAMUKKALE EFES APHRODİAS (2 DAY H/B)
ALANYA
SAGALASSOS
PHASELİS OLYMPOS ÇIRALI (CHİMERA)
PAMUKKALE
CITY TOUR
KARPUZKALDIRAN DÜDEN KURŞUNLU
Untitled Document
Hotels
 
 
 
SAGALASSOS-ANTIOKEIA-EFLATUN PINAR
From : ANTALYA
at : 07:00 HOTEL
return : 21:00 HOTEL
Price : 1-3 PAX 550€ +PP 65 €

- Departure ( Departure time is up to the customers. Proposed time is at 06:00 a.m)

- Sagalassos, Eğridir Lake

- Lunch break

- Antiocheia

- Eflatunpınar

- Beyşehir Eşref PAşa Mosque

- Back to Antalya. Transfer to the hotels.

 

SAGALASSOS

The ancient ruins of Sagalassos are situated 7 km from the town of Aglasun in the province of Burdur. The city lies on Mount Akdag, a spur of the Western Toros range, at an altitude of between 1450 and 1700 metres.

Human settlement in the area goes back to 12.000 BC, and Sagalassos itself reveal traces of settlement going back to 3000 BC. Around 1600 it became part of Pisidia, but otherwise its history remains wreathed in mist until the arrival of Alexander the Great in 334 BC. Sagalassos was renowned for its courageous and warlike inhabitants, who put up a vigorous defense against Alexander's army. The city was finally conquered after the loss of five hundred lives in a battle which took place on a hilltop facing the city.

Sagalassos enjoyed a period of prosperity after Alexander, and throughout the Hellenistic period (333-25 BC) was the second most important city of Pisidia. In 25 BC Sagalassos became part of the Roman Empire and in the 1st century AD became the foremost city of the region. From then until the early 3rd century the city enjoyed a golden age and many magnificent buildings were constructed here.

 

In 518 AD a violent earthquake struck. Although the city was subsequently rebuilt, another earthquake in the 7th century destroyed not only the city but its water sources. Lack of water and disease were compounded by the Arab incursions, and finally the city was abandoned altogether. Landslides from Mount Akdag gradually buried much of the city and, thus protected, Sagalassos lay concealed in hibernation for long centuries.

In 1706 the French traveler Paul Lucas arrived in Sagalassos, which he describes as a city of enchantment. Not until 1824 did the British cleric Francis Arundell discover the city's true identity. In 1985 a team of British researchers led by Stephen Mitchell visited the site, and the following year they were joined by Belgian archaeologist Prof Dr. Marc Waelkens, the man who was to awaken Sagalassos from its centuries of oblivion. When Waelkens and Mitchell carried out surface exploration at this remote site like an eagles eerie high in the mountains, they were astounded not only by the ruins but by the spectacular view over the green plain.

Thanks to the city's inaccessibility the ruins had not been plundered for building material or by antiquity hunters, and remained so remarkably intact that Marc Waelkens was overcome by excitement. This was the site of his dreams, and immediately he obtained the necessary permits to carry out excavations. With the
financial and technical support of Leuven Catholic University in Belgium where he taught, excavations went ahead in 1990.
Waelkens invited experts in a range of fields from various countries to loin the large team, and within ten years - a brief period in archaeological research terms - most of Sagalassos was revealed and reconstruction of some buildings had commenced. The principle structures uncovered by the excavations are a Doric temple (1st century BC), a late Hellenistic fountain (1st century BC), the Neon Library (second century AD, a bouleuterion or assembly building seat-ing two hundred people (125-100 BC), the upper and lower agoras (2nd century BC), a heroon (hero's memoriaL) thought to commemorate Alexander the Great dating from the reign of Augustus (14 AD), Temple of Apollo Clarios (0-20 AD), Temple of Antinius Pius (120-140 AD), Antonines Fountain (161-180 AD), a theatre seating nine thousand people which is the highest in the world (2nd century AD), Roman bath (2nd century AD), and a public lavatory accommodating forty people.

The first two years of work were devoted mainly to the Neon Library and the mosaic pavement in front of this building, and to the late Hellenistic fountain. Almost all the architectural elements of both library and fountain were in situ, and between 1992 and 1997 architectural restorers Semih Ercan and Teresa Patricio reconstructed both buildings. At the same time, the water source which had fed the fountain was unblocked, so that it began to flow again. This is the first time in Turkey that the original function has been restored to an antique structure.

Since 1997 work has focused on the area around the upper agora, which formed the central hub of Sagalassos, and the Antonines Fountain on the north side of the agora. The facade of this imposing fountain is like a theatre proscenium, with niches containing statues made in Aphrodisias and Afyon Incehisar. It is estimated that work on the fountain will be completed in five or six years time, restoring it to its original glory.
Two splendid statues of the god Dionysus, 2.65 and 2.45 metres high respectively, and statues of various sizes representing august citizens of Sagalassos discovered during excavation of the fountain are today exhibited in Burdur Museum. When the restoration work being carried out by Semih Ercan is complete, replicas of these statues will be placed on the fountain, and the water main linking it to the Hellenisticfountain restored so that the water will flow here again. The 14 metres high heroon in the upper agora is another important structure which will be rebuilt, and restoration is underway by a team led by Ebru Torun Popleme. The most striking feature of the heroon is a frieze depicting women dancing in a trance, with disdraped cloths and musical instruments in their hands. Conservation work is still continuing on this frieze, whose Hellenistic folds are superbly sculpted.

When the area around the upper agora is completed, visitors will be able to gain a fuller perception of Sagalassos. Once again the city will gleam like a pearl set in the rocky heights of the Toros.

Sagalassos is 110 kilometres from Antalya Airport, and is also within easy reach for those traveling between Antalya and Pamukkale or Antalya and Cappadocia.

 

 

ANTIOCHEIA

 

Seeking the distinctive historical texture that underlies the county of Yalvac, we are led to the remains of the ancient city of Antiocheia in Pisidia.

The first buildings our eyes light upon seem to be strewn over the hillsides and among the ravines. The principal entrance to the city was located on its western side. The present form of the Western Gate, the guardian of the city's security, dates to 212 and is decorated with reliefs of weapons and armor.

From there we stroll along the street called Cardo Maximus and make a sentimental visit to the abodes of the city's erstwhile owners. Who knows whose house we may end up in as we ply these narrow, straight streets? The old town had two forums, that of Augustus and that of Tiberius. Located on the eastern side of the city, they were the focal-points of its life. Even the first workers' strike in the world was taken at the Forum of Tiberius in AD 46. As we walk along, from time to time we realize that we are treading in the footsteps of the city's former inhabitants.With this pensive thought in our hearts, we reach the aqueduct, gracing the north side of the city like a necklace.

The magnificent fortifications that once encircled and sheltered the acropolis of Antiocheia measure about three thousand meters in length. These walls underwent expansion and repairs in Roman and Byzantine times. Who knows how many sentries guarding these walls gazed dreamily upon the magnificent view around him?

The sacred precinct of the acropolis, the city's highest point, contains a temple dedicated to Emperor Augustus. Originally a temple to the goddess Kybele was located here. It was replaced by a temple dedicated to the moon-god Men afterwards. Still later, an elaborately decorated Augustus temple, dedicated to the Emperor who established the first and biggest Roman colony in the area, was built on the site in the late 1st century BC. From the standpoint of both its architecture and its decoration, the Temple of Augustus is a unique example of its kind. In the early 5th century, the temple was converted into a Christian church. As you take in the scene before you,the very air you breathe seems charged with the millennia-old mystical inspiration of goddesses, gods, and emperors.

Despite being located on a hill, Antiocheia has a well organized city plan and a developed infrastructure.

A 1 st-century propylon or monumental gate is situated where the Augustus and Tiberius forums join. Over its central archway are reliefs of Genius with wings and Nike that are indescribably elegant in the artistry of their execution.

The Forum of Tiberius (which dates to AD 15-40) is located at the eastern terminus of a column-lined street that dates from the 1st century AD and was one of the most important parts of the city.

Large quantities of glass, pottery, and bronze objects have been unearthed in the shops of its gallery. The city's theater is built into the side of a hill near the downtown area. Elaborately decorated, the theater consists of three main parts. Originally it had a seating capacity of 5,000, but this was later, in the Roman times, increased to,15,000. One very unusual feature of this theater is its tunnel which is 8 meters wide and 62.5 meters long. This is unique among the theaters of the ancient world. It was, also in this theater that St. Thecla was exposed to torture.
The city's monumental fountain (nymphaeum) consists of two parts. The first is an elaborately decorated facade of columns that contained th| fonts; the second is a large reservoir lying behind the facade in which water was stored. Scattered around the city are smaller fountains from which Antiocheia's ice-cold water bubbled forth.

A public bath is located at the northwestern corner of the city. Dating back to AD 25, it is a typical example of Roman bath architecture with separate hot, cold, and cool sections, dressing-rooms, service areas, and places to store water and supplies. The city's stadium stands to the west of the acropolis where the foothills of the Sultan Mountains begin. Built in the 3rd century BC, it measures 190 meters long and 30 meters wide. The stadium apparently underwent much development during Roman times and in its heyday it was the scene of exciting sports events and competitions, thrilling races, and bloody gladiatorial combats sometimes between man and beast, and sometimes between man and man. All in all, the stadium is where the strong vanquished the weak and where humanity's savage and martial instincts were catered to and allowed to run free and untrammeled.

The jewel in the crown of Antiocheia that makes it a place of pilgrimage is the Church of St Paul, the city's first Christian church and also its biggest. Located 200 meters south of the Roman baths, ir was erected on the site of the synagogue in which Paul delivered his first sermon, as described in Acts 13, by the city's grateful inhabitants and dedicated the church to him. The building has a typical basilica plan. Excavations at the site have revealed the existence of a smaller church that was built here before the present one. The church is the most impressive in appearance with its mosaic-tiled floor and wall of columns.

Beneath the smaller church, the remains of a synagogue can be identified. This indicates that there were at least three stages of construction on this site. The first was the synagogue, which was rather large in size. In the early 3rd century a small church was built on the spot. Sometime in the early 4th century, the church we see today was put up. Numerous graves and skeletal remains have been discovered within the church. The church's floor is decorated with specially-designed mosaics. Among the inscriptions on the floor of building is a reference to an Orthodox church leader named Optimus, who is known to have been the bishop of Antiocheia in 375-381.

In 46, St Paul accompanied by St Barnabas delivered his first sermon in the synagogue which was later replaced by the church. The church quickly became a place of pilgrimage for the faithful and a setting in which many other saints were to deliver sermons of their own.

The existence of seven churches in the city indicates that it was a. religious center.

The aqueduct, which has become a symbol for the whole ancient city, was built in Roman times. Extending along the northern side of the city, it brings water from a source located ten kilometers away. The aqueduct is amazingly well preserved, especially when one considers that it was built in the first century AD. Despite the passage of nearly two thousand years, this structure that supplied the ancient city with its beneficial water still stands proud and tall.

 

 

EFLATUN PINAR

 

Eflatun Pınar (Turkish: Eflatunpınar, "lilac-colored spring") is the name given to a spring which rises up from the ground, creating an oasis and fountain. The spring lies 80 miles west of Konya, and drains into Lake Beyşehir in Anatolian peninsula at ancient Pisidia region. In ancient times a small temple was built here to honor one of the ancient Hittite gods, and later Plato was confusely credited with the spring. The shrine precedes Plato of about 1000 years [c.1300 BC]. Eflatun Pinar is the modern name for the location.

The region corresponded to Pisidia in Classical Antiquity.

Eflatun Pınar's location near the lake shore corresponds to an almost exact level with other important ruins on the opposite shore, those of Kubadabad Palace, which are Seljuk.

Eflatun Pınar was briefly examined by the University of Oxford archaeologist Dr. Lucia Nixon in her paper on Çatalhöyük, and she makes use of F.W.Hasluck's early-20th century work. The site remains largely unexplored to date.

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Untitled Document

Four Seasons

Yeşilbahçe Mah. Metin Kasapoğlu cad.

1452. Sok. Hacı Yusuf Sitesi A Blok No 4/A

ANTALYA-TURKEY

e mail: mehmetyildiz@antalyafourseasons.com