ust2
Untitled Document
Tours
CITY TOUR
TERMESSOS
DEMRE MYRA KEKOVA
TURKISH NIGHT
AQUALAND
QUAD SAFARI
DIVING
BOAT TOUR
JEEP SAFARI
RAFTING
CAPPADOCIA
PAMUKKALE
FIRE OF ANATOLIA
PERGE ASPENDOS SİDE
Untitled Document
Private Tours
TERMESSOS EVDİRHAN DÜDEN WATERFALL
SAGALASSOS-ANTIOKEIA-EFLATUN PINAR
PERGE ASPENDOS KURŞUNLU WATERFALL
PERGE ASPENDOS SİDE MANAVGAT WATERFALL
DEMRE - MYRA - KEKOVA
KONYA KAPADOKYA (2 DAY H/B)
PAMUKKALE EFES APHRODİAS (2 DAY H/B)
ALANYA
SAGALASSOS
PHASELİS OLYMPOS ÇIRALI (CHİMERA)
PAMUKKALE
CITY TOUR
KARPUZKALDIRAN DÜDEN KURŞUNLU
Untitled Document
Hotels
 
 
 
CITY TOUR
From : ANTALYA
at : 09:30 HOTEL
return : 16:00 HOTEL
Price : 1-3 PAX 225€ +PP 30€

- Departure ( Departure time is up to the customers. Proposed time is at 09:30 a.m )

- Old City ( Kaleiçi ) Marina, Clock Tower,

  Hadrianus Gate, Broken Minaret,

  Hıdırlık Tower

- Lunch break

- Düden Watefall

- Archheological Museum

- Transfer to the hotels

 

ANTALYA ( ATTALEIA/ADALYA )

 

Antalya is a city on the Mediterranean coast of southwestern Turkey, and the capital city of Antalya Province. Situated on coastal cliffs, Antalya is surrounded by mountains. Development and investment, began in the 1970s, have transformed the city into an international resort.

It is uncertain when the site of the current city was first inhabited. Attalos II, king of Pergamon, was believed to have founded the city around 150 BC, naming it Attalia and selecting it as a naval base for his powerful fleet. However, excavations in 2008 in the Doğu Garajı district of Antalya have uncovered remains dating to the 3rd century BC, suggesting that the city was founded earlier than previously supposed. Antalya became part of the Roman Republic in 133 BC when King Attalos III of Pergamum willed his kingdom to Rome at his death. The city grew and prospered during the Ancient Roman period.

Christianity started to spread in the region after 2nd century. Antalya was visited by Paul of Tarsus, as recorded in the Acts of the Apostles: "From Perga, Paul and Barnabas went down to Attalia and sailed from there to Antioch after preaching in Pisidia and Pamphylia" (Acts 14:25-26).

Antalya was a major city in the Byzantine Empire. It was the capital of the Byzantine Theme of Carabisiani (Θ?μα Kαραβησι?νων, Thema Karavesianon), which occupied the southern coasts of Asia Minor and the Aegean Islands. At the time of the accession of John II Comnenus (1118) it was an isolated outpost against the Turks, accessible only by sea. The following year, with the aid of his commander-in-chief John Axuch, John II drove the Turks from the land routes to Antalya and reconnected the city with the rest of the empire.

The city, along with the surrounding region, was conquered by the Seljuk Turks in the early 13th century. Antalya was the capital of the Turkish beylik of Teke (1321–1423) until its conquest by the Ottomans. The Arabic traveler Ibn Battuta who came to the city in between 1335-1340 noted:

From Alanya I went to Antaliya [Adalia], a most beautiful city. It covers an immense area, and though of vast bulk is one of the most attractive towns to be seen anywhere, besides being exceedingly populous and well laid out. Each section of the inhabitants lives in a separate quarter. The Christian merchants live in a quarter of the town known as the Mina [the Port], and are surrounded by a wall, the gates of which are shut upon them from without at night and during the Friday service. The Greeks, who were its former inhabitants, live by themselves in another quarter, the Jews in another, and the king and his court and Mamluks in another, each of these quarters being walled off likewise. The rest of the Muslims live in the main city. Round the whole town and all the quarters mentioned there is another great wall. The town contains orchards and produces fine fruits, including an admirable kind of apricot, called by them Qamar ad-Din, which has a sweet almond in its kernel. This fruit is dried and exported to Egypt, where it is regarded as a great luxury.[3]

 

In the second half of the 17th century Evliya Çelebi wrote of a city of narrow streets containing 3,000 houses in twenty Turkish and four Greek neighborhoods. The town had grown beyond the city walls and the port was reported to hold up to 200 boats.

In the 19th century, in common with most of Anatolia, its sovereign was a "dere bey" (land lord or landowner). The family of Tekke Oglu, domiciled near Perge, though reduced to submission in 1812 by Mahmud II, continued to be a rival power to the Ottoman governor until within the present generation, surviving by many years the fall of the other great beys of Anatolia. The records of the Levant (Turkey) Company, which maintained an agency in Antalya until 1825, documented the local dere beys.

In the 20th century the population of Antalya increased as Turks from the Caucasus and the Balkans moved into Anatolia. By 1911 it was a city of about 25,000 people, including many Christians and Jews, still living in separate quarters around the walled mina or port. The port was served by coast steamers of local companies. Antalya (then Adalia) was picturesque, but ill-built and backward. The chief attraction for visitors was the city wall, and outside a promenade -a portion of which survives to the present. The government offices and the houses of the higher classes were all outside of the walls.[4]

The city was briefly occupied by the Italians from the end of the First World War until the founding of the Turkish Republic in 1923

 

OLD TOWN (KALEİÇİ)

Kaleici is a small historic part of Antalyas modern city, also known as the Old City of Antalya. In history it was once the sprawling modern Roman town, then the Byzantine Empire, then Seljuks, and finally the Ottoman Turkish town.

Modern city of Antalya started after World War II and before that Kaleici, with its massive stone walls surrounding, narrow streets, and picturesque old houses was the home of locals. The old houses were built so close they often overshadow the narrow lanes.

Kaleici is the best place to stay in Antalya. It has many charming small boutique hotels, inns and pensions offer comfortable, even luxurious accommodations and fine dining in an old-time atmosphere. You can have a better feeling of history in Kaleici rather than large beach hotels that populate Konyaalti and Lara beaches.

Kaleici protected and surrounded the old Roman Harbor, which was Antalyas reason for existensce: even in Roman times, this was the outlet for the produce of the rich alluvial plain that stretches east from Antalya beneath the southern slopes of the Taurus Mountains.

Today Kaleici is a strictly protected district, preservation of historic buildings required, and strict regulations on any new building. You will probably see some ugly modern buildings, but they are being eliminated as the possibilities arise.

HADRIAN’S GATE

The Hadrian's Gate (or Hadrianus Gate or The Three Gates (meaning "Üçkapılar" in Turkish) is a triumphal arch which was built in the name of the Roman emperor Hadrian, who visited Antalya in 130 A.D. It has three arched gates. According to the legend, Sultan Belkis, the Queen of Sheba, is said to have passed under those gates and enjoyed a happy day in the palace in Aspendos on her way to visit King Solomon. Formerly the city walls enclosed the outside of the gate and it was not used for many years. This may be the reason why it has not been harmed, and it was only revealed when the walls collapsed. It is considered as Pamphylia's most beautiful Gate. The upper part has three apertures in the shape of a cupola, and except for the pillars is built entirely of white marble. The ornamentation is very striking. The original Gate was two storeys but little is known of the top storey.

On either side of the Gate are towers, which are known not to have been built at the same time. The southern one is known as the Julia Sancta tower and is a work of the Hadrian era. It was constructed of plain stone blocks. While the base of the northern tower belongs to antiquity, the upper part is left over from the Seljuks.

BROKEN MINARET

Antalya's broken wonder is the Broken Minaret (Kesik Minare) of the Korkut Mosque (Korkut Camii), which itself was built originally as a Roman temple in the 2nd century AD, and thus did not have a minaret at all.

A Byzantine church in honor of the Virgin Mary was built on the temple site in the 600s, but badly damaged during the Arab invasions of the 700s. It was repaired and expanded in the 900s.

When the Seljuk Turkish Empire of Rum took Antalya from the Byzantines i, the church was converted to a mosque and the minaret added, but in 1361 when Peter I, crusader king of Cyprus, took Antalya from the Seljuks it became a church again.

It became a mosque yet again during the rule of Sehzade Korkut (1470-1509), son of the Ottoman sultan Beyazit II, and continued as a place of worship until 1846, when it was dstroyed by a great fire.

The temple-church-mosque now lays in ruins, but the minaret survives.

So it now stands in the midst of a street in Kaleiçi (Old Antalya), periodically repaired—but not restored—as a local curiosity and a convenient landmark.

HIDIRLIK TOWER

Hıdırlık Tower (Turkish: Hıdırlık Kulesi) is a landmark tower of tawny stone in Antalya, Turkey, where Kaleiçi meets Karaalioglu Park. It is believed to be built in Hellenistic era on a square plan and later turned into circular tower in 2nd century AD and was either used as a fortification or a lighthouse in the past.

The tower is situated at the southern side of the place, where the land walls of the city join the sea walls. The 14m high structure consists a circular tower rising on a quadratic pedestal. The tower's gate at the eastern side leads to a small room, from where a narrow staircase goes up. There are signs of restoration work on the upper part done in the Seljuk and Ottoman eras.

Hırılık Tower is surrounded today with many cafés and restaurants having panoramic view of the Gulf of Antalya.

DÜDEN WATERFALL

Düden Waterfalls are a group of waterfalls in the province of Antalya, Turkey. The waterfall, formed by the Düden River (one of the major rivers in southern Anatolia), is located 12 km north-east of Antalya; which ends, where the limpid waters of the Lower Düden Falls drop off a rocky cliff directly into the Mediterranean Sea in a dazzling show.

At the 28th and 30th km of the old route from Antalya-Burdur (which goes through Dösemealti town) there appear two big Karstic sources. These sources, Kirkgözler and Pinarbasi which are very rich waterwise, coincide after a very short flow and they disappear finally in Biyikli Sinkhole. Some of the sinkholes are so big that they can swallow a huge river or a big lake. In this region there are the Sugla (Konya) big sinkhole the Biyikli sinkhole with its output of 30 m³/s. This quantity is the output of Kirkgöz and Pinarbasi springs at inundation.

The water which disappears at Biyikli Sinkhole goes 14 km underground and comes out again at Varsak pit; after a very short fall it disappears again from the other end. To understand the mechanism correctly you must follow the map and schema. The water which disappears at Varsak goes underground for 2 km and comes out again at Düdenbasi by pressure made by a syphon. The water which falls from Düdenbasi is the water coming from Kepez Hydroelectrical Complex. By all these actions (water coming in and out) Kepez Hydroelectrical Complex has been built.

By means of regulator built in front of the Biyikli Sinkhole, the waters of Kirkgözler and Pinarbasi are directed into a canal and then by a long canal to the Kepez Hydroelectric Plant to the collector from where by a pressure pipe it is carried to the balancing funnel and then dropped over the plant's turbines.

The water from the plant's discharge unit is brought to Düdenbasi again by a long canal where it forms artificial cascades. From there the amount of water is that of a large river and this water by means of seven irrigation trenches is used to irrigate the land north-east of the city of Antalya.

After Düdenbasi the waters of Düdençay separate into a number of streams and finally east of Antalya at a height of 40 m plunge from a platform into the Mediterranean in the form of cascades.

At the spot where the cascades fall into the Mediterranean is an attractive park. In spring when water is plentiful this is a sight not to be missed. They can be seen from the sea by talking a boat trip from Antalya yacht harbour, which is a very pleasant trip.

ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM

At the end of the First World War, during the time when Antalya was under the Italian military occupation, Italian archeologists started to remove the archeological treasures that had been found in the center or the surroundings to the Italian Embassy, which they claimed to do in the name of civilization. To prevent these initiatives, Süleyman Fikri Bey, the Sultan's teacher, applied to the Antalya post and jurisdiction of the provincial Governor in 1919 and had himself appointed as voluntary officer of antiquities and first tried to establish the Antalya Museum by collecting what remained in the center. The museum at first operated in the Alâeddin Mosque in 1922, then in Yivli Minare Mosque beginning from 1937, and then moved to its present building in 1972. It was closed to visitors for a wide range of modifications and restorations in 1982. It was reorganized according to a modern approach for a museum and opened to the public in April 1985, after the restorations and display arrangements made by the General Directorate of Ancient Objects and Museums.

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Untitled Document

Four Seasons

Yeşilbahçe Mah. Metin Kasapoğlu cad.

1452. Sok. Hacı Yusuf Sitesi A Blok No 4/A

ANTALYA-TURKEY

e mail: mehmetyildiz@antalyafourseasons.com